Screw Sizes - How Many Do You Really Need for Woodworking?

You can always find large, expansive charts of screw sizes, but do you really need that many choices? My list for woodworking is now down to four, and I rarely have a project that needs anything more than that.

All-Purpose Wood screw - #8 x 1 - 1/4"
This is the real workhorse in my shop. Most of my projects use 3/4 inch plywood mounted to a piece of 3/4 inch solid wood. This #8 screw is the perfect length for bonding these two pieces together - without it poking through the other side. I also like the size of the shank, which is just large enough to resist breaking, but not too large that it splits the wood.

Perfect for Thin Wood - #6 x 3/4"
With thinner pieces of wood (like 1/2 inch), I need a shorter wood screw to hold everything together. A #6 x 3/4 inch screw is perfect for the job. The length is just right for bonding 1/2 inch stock, and since the wood is a little thinner than what I normally use, I can go with a smaller shank.

Going into End Grain - #8 x 2"
Putting screws into end grain creates a few problems. The edge of a board just isn't as durable as the face, and wood fibers easily crumble when you try to drive in a woodscrew, not to mention that this is an easy way to split the board. The only way to avoid these problems is to drill a deep pilot hole, include countersinking for the shank and head, and then use a longer screw.

The Big-Job Wood screw - #10 x 3"
I'm always finding some occasion where I need to mount things to the 2x4 studs in my basement. All of the screw sizes I've mentioned so far just won't do the job when it comes to putting up shelves, cabinets, and other heavy items in my shop. I don't use this large of a woodscrew very often, but when the need arises, I'm always glad I have a small supply on hand.

More woodworking screw sizes

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Andy_Duframe

Labels:

Posted by mbuhlah, Friday, April 4, 2008 3:38 AM

0 Comments:

<< Home | << Add a comment